Friday, October 1, 2010

Love

I'm unsure was to whether or not someone else may have already hit on this, but I'd like to rehash it if it's already done, and if not, then I'd like to break this open.
We've all already determined that Christian Service is something that is necessary for a Christian to do, and that it is something that we must do with the right motives. I'd now like to say that Christian Service is something that should come from love, and should be nothing but love.

Mark 12: 29-31 says: "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this:'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength'. The second's this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."
So far as I can tell, as Jesus says the two greatest commandments, both have to do with LOVE. If we truly are to love our neighbors as ourself, shouldn't we then also be their servants?

Luke 9: 48 says: Then he said to them, "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all--he is the greatest."
So then, why are we to do Christian Service?, because we are told to in the gospels. How are we to do it?, in Love.
I think that if we could apply this to everything we do, we'd see a difference in our willingness to do things for others. Even such small things as holding the door for people, if we do it because we are a servant of Christ, and we want to show his love to everyone, I think that people will recognize that there's something inevitably nice about us Christians.

What I mean to say in this blog post, is that I believe that Christian Service should be equated with love, and the two can be used almost interchangeably. If we truly are to practice the servitude Jesus calls us to, our first step in accomplishing anything of that sort is to understand, and put into practice the love that Jesus also calls us to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment