Friday, October 15, 2010

Horses and service

I decided that l needed to volunteer somewhere so l started helping at Heavenly Hoofs. This is a nonprofit organization that strictly needs volunteers for it to continue running. They have 11 horses that are used for disabled people to ride in their therapeutic training sessions. All of the horses have been donated to the program and all of them have to be calm so that they are allowed to stay in the program. Today was my first day and l had to get up early and arrive on site by 9. Upon my arrival l got to meet all of the horses and children that l would be working with. Today I got to work with a 16 year old boy named Steven. He had a massive smile and talked the whole time. He asked the same question over and over again, and then when I finally gave him an answer he would question the answer that was given. First, I helped Steven get out Channing. This horse was a 17 year old male who was very calm and slow. We tied him up and spent half an hour grooming him. When we were done grooming Channing it was time to tack him up. While I was doing this Steven ran to get his boots and helmet. As soon as Steven came back we were off to his lesson. Steven has been riding for a while so all l had to do was stand beside him as a spotter. I also got to help him ride on his trail. He had to practice this because he is doing a show this coming Sunday. I got a lot of enjoyment in watching him ride because even when he got scared he was still willing to try. While l was working with Steven l realized just how lucky l really am. l am amazed at how Steven’s disability doesn’t stop him when he tries to do something. I’m excited to continue working with Steven and see him grow as the sessions continue. Working with disabled people lets you see how lucky you really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment