Saturday, October 2, 2010

Christian Service # 2

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. Colossians 3: 23-24

I was asking my friend what I should I write about on my class blog about Christian service and he started singing the song version of the verse above. Granted, it is a simple verse but for some reason I am sitting here writing about it. In sum, the verse is saying that whatever you do put your whole self into it and do it for the glory of God because God is the one who will reward you. We may not realize the full effect of the reward, now, in front of man to see, but God will lavish us someday with it in heaven. It's hard remembering that concept because of the world telling us just the opposite. The belief that you do something and in turn receive praise and recognition on Earth has even infiltrated the Church. Even when I do something I am passionate about, well, I have to make sure that I am not doing it for others to see. I get really excited about a project and put my whole heart into, then I start thinking about the outcome of the project and how I will tell others about it, I then realize that my fleshly side has come out and my passion has turned into narcissism.

When we don't focus out attention on the glory we can get, all that's left is the glory God can get, his Kingdom really. His Kingdom. That's all believers past, present, and future (in the sense of what they will experience) this life and next, that's huge. Our impact will effect many now and in the future, forever!

When struggling with doing something noble for the Lord, just think, you're small action may seem small, but it's effect is enormous and it lasts forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment