Friday, November 5, 2010

Christian Service # 4

When many people think of Christian service they start to think of big events, they think of trips that will cost lots of money, and they think of people sharing memories of a great adventures in a distant country. They do not think however, of being able to serve while in a non-discreet location that is less than 30 miles from your house, or serving in areas where the pictures you to take will not show in the next edition of National Geographic -- and that's OK. It's OK to serve in areas where you will not be able to try exotic food or see exotic food; it is a good thing to do that too! As Christians we are called to help the poor, needy, helpless, widow, and orphan. We can live out our Christian duty by not only traveling halfway around the country but also, by finding people with such needs in our own backyard and meeting them there.

Why then, do people shy away from participating in outreach that involves our immediate community? As I mentioned earlier some look forward to the cool picture they can show their friends when they return from visiting foreign lands, but somehow, I think it runs deeper than having a cool picture or story to share. Take for instance the Cubans in Miami. They make a large percentage of the not only the minority population, but also the population of Miami in general. Cubans have an entirely culture, why are there not hoards of people and churches rushing over to help them in their need? Somehow, I think we as a nation look forward to helping others in other countries more because, we have the American Church, do not want to realize that we have failed. We have failed helping others in our country, we have failed showing others love and compassion, but most importantly, we have failed God. Regardless of the government and its laws and policies, as a Church, we have not extended mercy towards others, we have not taken the Gospel to the streets and proclaimed liberty to all. I think our country does not want to realize that we are living a lie and our own countrymen are lost just as those in other countries are.

1 comment:

  1. I won’t lie I have no idea what to put up so I’m going to rant about nonsense. I guess I might as well say a little something about something we face nowadays. Every now and then I go to churches and I leave with a feeling in the pits of my guts that has now made me want to ram satins’ head in wall. It’s an extremely touchy subject in today’s ministry. However I will explain how I feel about the demon a demon the western civilization has created which I call the “get rich gospel” or the “prosperity gospel”. I detest hearing preachers tell congregations of men and women that if the give a whole bunch of money that God will take them from all their trials and troubles. The truth of the matter is some people are where they are because God placed them there to build them up. I mean lets be real I know we need money but to preach such a message that causes people to have hope in money instead of God and to continue preaching that same message even though you see what it produces? It’s mad!! I don’t I guess it’s just me. I want to talk about this in class and see everyone’s view on it but my only wonder is; how aware are we about this gospel that has sprung up? Well I won’t continue to babble on. I hope everyone has been going well lately. I pray the peace of God be with you all. I don’t know how to identify myself on this blog but this is Jr also known as Jean Joseph Lindor. This is by far the longest 350 I have ever had to type because I totally ran out of stuff to say and I’m too sleep to read all the other post and comment on them. (Those long drives to Miami and back did me no justice I’m pretty tired) well I’m almost done wasting words. This however seems quite nice. I like this blog thing. I’m going to write more often. Goodnight everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete