Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Albany Rescue Mission

About a year ago I was at church just making my regular Sunday rounds and my manager from work came up to me and asked if I would like to help him one day at the Albany Rescue Mission he knew that I played the sax and had really wanted me to come play my talent for the homeless people in the chapel service that they attend regularly for if they don’t attend they will not receive the benefits of what a shelter and food and things that it takes to survive in today’s modern world. So he wanted me to come play for it to and a little mix up for the people that were there you know add a little flavor to the Kool-Aid you might say. So of course I said “yah that would be fun what time you want me to be there”. So when I got there of course the environment was not that great because it was more in the ghetto part of town which I surprisingly was not too worried about because I knew it was something God called me to do. Just a little side note I am glad my dad was not there because he is a little superstitious there was a little sweet black cat that crossed our path on the way into the building that he would have been a little worried about. When I first went in to the building I so that the chapel wasn’t that big this organization really didn’t have much money being poured in it, but I could not help but see the overflowing love that was seeping out of the cracks in this place. So I walked in and Ray my manager started introducing me to people and I could see in their eyes that they were in need of someone that wasn’t not there to tell them what to do or to preach to them they saw me there as a person that was just there to bring them a source of enjoyment and listening ears. So it came time for me to get on stage to play my instrument surprisingly was a little nervous I never really get nervous like that so I knew that something huge was happening I got through the first song and by the end of a homeless man in the crowd yelled out breath because I was turning a little red from not breathing in while I was playing so after that the ice was broken and I found that they are just like me even though they may not be in their best part of like they were still human and still have human feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment