Friday, September 3, 2010

What Does Jesus Have to Say about Christian Service?

A few years ago I put together some scriptures from the gospels that talk about "serving others." As you consider these verses, how do you see them relating to Christian service? Are there any practices here that Christians should adopt when they participate in Christian service? Do these verses even help us define Christian service? I'm intertested in your thoughts.

Matthew 6:1-4


 Do not do “your acts of righteousness before men to be seen by them”

 Your Father, who sees what is done “in secret,” will reward you

 Do not “let your left hand know what your right hand is doing”

Matthew 25:31-46

The way we respond to the needs of people on earth has direct bearing on where we will spend eternity

 “I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat”

 “I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink”

 “I was a stranger and you invited me in”

 “I needed clothes and you clothed me”

 “I was sick and you looked after me”

 “I was in prison and you came to visit me”

 “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”

 “Come you who are blessed by y Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.”

 “I was hungry, and you gave me nothing to eat”

 “I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink”

 “I was a stranger and you did not invite me in”

 “I needed clothes and you did not clothe me”

 “I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me”

 “Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.”

 “Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”

Luke 6:37-42

The way we treat others has direct bearing on the way God will treat us.

 “Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.”

4 comments:

  1. Do these things out of Love...

    Jesus says,

    “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” Matt 25:37

    If we believe this, then why do we even call it Christian Service? In my opinion,"Christian Service" seems as though it's charity...Doing something because it's right but not out of Love.

    When you buy groceries for your children and family it's done out of a need and a true love. You know that if you don't provide they may perish. I believe that is the way we should be with all people, giving according to their needs.

    And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 ESV.

    If we are to mirror Christ, then are we not to mirror the way He promises to treat us? God gives us abundantly that we might be able to give to others; That is ultimately our Christian Service. He gives us blessings through finances, time, and with talents, therefore we should share our finances time, and our talents with others to bring Him glory.

    We should give as a sign of our Christlike love. Learn to love your neighbor first, and giving, or "Christian Service" will become easy and simple as making your heart beat.


    David Oliver Willis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed that when some Christians sign up for a chairty event they only sign up if their friends sign up also. This annoyed me because in my church it usually meant that no one ever signed up for anything. On the rare occasion when people did decide to sign up for an event the entire thing meshed into a "hang out spot" instead of an actual charity event. I believe Christians need to help others because it is the right thing to do and not because they feel comfortable helping people only when their friends are around.

    Megan Colello

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven."
    -Matthew 6:1 NASB

    This college's mission is not only to teach God's word, but how to live it. Students at Florida Christian College are required to do Christian service every semester in order to graduate. A potentially troubling thought for some is that requiring Christian service be tracked contradicts the way we are told to act in Matthew 6:1. If our reward for Christian service is being able to graduate, then is it Christian service at all? We should make sure giving and kindness goes beyond what is submitted for Christian Service Events, and that it is also done for only God to see.

    Adam Schwager

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think that Adam makes a good point, in realizing that our Christian service, while a requirement, shouldn't just be "a requirement" for us.
    To truly understand what it is that we should be learning from this, and to truly be a good Christian, we need to remember some scripture.

    6-Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7-Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8-And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
    -2 Corinthians 9:6-8

    This passage may be talking about offerings and such, but seriously, when we volunteer to help someone, are we not giving of ourselves? So then, if we must be cheerful givers in all things, we should not worry about our Christian service being a requirement to graduate, and instead just do it for the love of God.
    I don't mean to say that you would be "killing two birds with one stone" in the sense that you would be accomplishing two things that needed to be done, but still we need to realize that Christian service should not be something we do when we are made to out of requirement, but out of the willingness to please our Lord.

    Robby Williams

    ReplyDelete