Wednesday, September 15, 2010

BLOG #1

I don't fully understand the concept of "Christian Service" right now, but I'm hoping that will change, for the better, at the end of the semester. I might not be able to accurately define CS, but I can tell you what CS is not!

1. CS is not always easy. It's usually the last filled spot on the team. Most people would rather not do this job. Yup, it's the ones who do they tearing down, constructing, and cleaning of the structures built during the missions trip. Why? As humans, we have tendencies to go for light work and do as little as possible. We don't want to break a sweat unless it's necessary, or unless, you'll be getting an incredible workout from it. Jesus never said this life would be easy, and because so, we as Believers shouldn't always look for the easy way out when we do Kingdom Work.

2. CS is not always fun. I hate dishes; I didn't know I was going to be doing them when I volunteered at a food bank. I had high hopes of cooking really cheap food and serving it up with a smile, nope, I was assigned to do dishes. My initial shock was that of, "Ugh, I get to clean up the mess that others made." I wasn't happy at all about it, and when I think back to that day, I had the wrong attitude because I didn't have a servant's heart or a helping heart. I merely wanted to have a good time with my friends, not really sacrificing much and gaining a "fun time" memory, and that was wrong. Christ didn't come to have a good time, He came to serve, serving so much that He gave His life for us.

3. CS is not always rewarding, on Earth, at least. Because we are sinful people, we do not always have the right motives. We don't always do things for others just because; instead, there are hidden motives behind a lot of good deeds. Take for example, "Oprah's Big Give." Sure the contestants who won got money to give to a charity of their choosing, but they also earned notoriety for helping others and being charitable on national TV; in front of Oprah, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment