Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mexico Missions Trip

When I was in 8th grade we went on a miissions trip to Mexico. While we were there we went to churches and performed skits, puppet shows, and human videos for the children. Being raised in America we all were born with a lot of things that the kids over there don't have. We have maybe twenty pairs of shoes but they are lucky if they have one. The best part about being in Mexico was performing acts of Christian service. We all loved playing with the children and having them sit in our laps, but the best part by far, was handing out the toys and candy after each service. We would hand a kid a rubber bracelet or a beaded necklace and their faces would just light up. It was crazy how happy they were to receive something so small. Every time we performed I knew that I was touching someone's heart. You could see it in their faces how much it meant to them that we were willing to take the time to see them. That made the trip worth it more than anything. All the things that went wrong were forgotten about once we saw those kids.

At each service there were several of the students dressed as clowns: costumes, makeup... the works. On the last day we were there for our last performance, I was finally able to be a clown. I was so excited! But the first service ran late so we didn't have time to go back to where we were staying and put on our makeup. I was very upset and didn't want to be a clown because of it. I had forgotten the whole reason why we were there. It wasn't about me or the makeup. It was about making the children happy and showing them the kindness and love of Christ. When I realized this, I was able to finish the day with a glad heart knowing that I was doing exactly what God wanted me to do. The whole trip was an amazing experience and I'm glad I was able to go. Without that trip I probably wouldn't know the real meaning of what Christian service is.

No comments:

Post a Comment