Monday, December 6, 2010

Lighthouse

THE LIGHTHOUSE
By Dean Beaty 2/29/08

We’re called to be a lighthouse, along some rock strewn bay.
Helping guide some traveler safely on his way.
What greater task on earth, to help a wandering one.
Trusting that on God’s great love, he’ll call before life’s done.

Don’t be a faulty lighthouse, whose light shines now and then.
To shine your light full faithfully will take some discipline.
With God’s help and guidance, your beacon will not fail.
In keeping others off the rocks, we surely will prevail.

Jesus is our lighthouse along the narrow road.
He strengthens, guides and cheers, and helps us with our load.
His light is never failing, though storms at Him are hurled.
We trust in Him because He is the true “Light of the World.”




-This is one of my favorite poem when l think of helping others, my teacher read this poem to my class before we left for our missionary trip in 2009 and it has stuck with me ever since.

1 comment:

  1. Ways to tackle Christian Service next Semester:
    1. New Creation – If you know how to play a musical instrument, try auditioning for New Creation. You can play for Chapel and even play at other churches. Not only is it good for hours, but, in my opinion, it also helps you to worship. I find that when I play guitar on stage, not only can I not pay attention somehow, but I can focus on God more. It is a great way to get some Christian Service hours.
    2. Bonfire – This semester we have started bonfire on Monday nights. If you have musical talents or you are good at talking and preaching, bonfire is the place to look into. I play guitar at bonfire and I preached once and I got half of my Christian Service hours doing just that.
    3. Getting involved in church – There are countless opportunities to help at church. Whether it’s babysitting children or taking out the trash. I know First Christian Church of Kissimmee, where I play guitar, is looking for even more musicians so that the people that already do play can have a break every now and then. So if you play guitar, drums, piano, sing, whatever, you should come to FCCoK and see about getting on the praise team.
    4. Heavenly Hoofs – Recently, my girlfriend has been feeding horses at Heritage Park. This is Christian Service because you are helping people take care of these horses. They are always looking for help and it is also pretty cool to hang with the horses.
    Well those are only some of the many ways to tackle Christian Service. I just listed the ones that are easy and close by. I suggest you look into some of these categories for I know every single one of them need people to participate.
    James Seiter

    ReplyDelete